Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fireworks... Oh, I mean Frameworks....

Is it just me, or do most frameworks seem to be a repetition of things already learned. I used to sit and wonder why it took thirteen years of school to teach a kid to read, write, and do arithmetic, but I took a look at the math frameworks that a colleague has to teach all this year; and I almost started to cry. ( I guess it was flashbacks of my YEARS of trying to survive COLLEGE ALGEBRA... UUUUUHHHHHH..... SCARY.) Anyhow, I see that so many of the frameworks build on knowing what happened previously. All knowledge does, so the next time someone asks you what exactly you're doing teaching kids for so long--- be sure to pull out your huge list of frameworks that you have to cover in less than a year's time. And after seeing all of the "rocket-science" looking stuff she has to cover this year--- I realized--- no wonder students are here 13 years. For me it was 18 plus years, and I still fear math. I thank goodness that I learned how to spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment